Do you guys remember Gelly Roll gel pens? You know, the ones we used back in middle school to add a little pizazz to a top secret note you were writing to your best friend. Well I pulled out those last few gel pens that I had to accent some watercolor drawings in my sketchbook. They wrote for 2 minutes and then nothing. I knew they'd be all dried and gross, but I was hopeful. This past week I stopped into the craft store and picked up a brand new set of Moonlight Gelly Roll gel pens. Fast forward to today and my love affair with them is stronger than ever. They're so luscious and opaque and bright and just WONDERFUL! The ink dries matte and is so fluid that i can move it around with a small brush (which also saves ink). They kind of remind me of gouache.
I bought the set with the intentions of just playing around...add a little color here or there. I wasn't looking for a long term relationship or anything, but they swept me off my feet. I started out drawing some kiwi and inadvertently started a March challenge for myself called Fruit of the Day! The colors make me dream of nothing but fruit....which makes me giddy for spring.
A challenge needs a few guidelines right? Here are the guidelines I have set for myself:
- I will draw 4-5 different fruits each week for the month of March
- there will be a weekly round up on the weekend (most likely on Sundays)
- patterns will be created from the most popular fruits (and the ones i just can't live without hahaha)
- gel pens will be used in some aspect within each pattern
- readers can suggest a fruit and I'll add it to the list (if it's not on there yet)
If you just can't wait for the weekly round up you can follow me on Instagram (@CallMeChartreuse) and you can also search #CMCfruitoftheday on there as well. i hope y'all enjoy this as much as I am.
Don't forget to suggest a fruit in the comments and i'll add it to my list!